Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Do you need to re-create report to use ODBC Post Reply Post New Topic
rembi

Online Status: Offline
Quote rembi Replybullet Topic: Do you need to re-create report to use ODBC
    Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 5:13am
Hi all,

New to Crystal Reports and was wondering if anyone can give me a confirmation so I can finally stop banging my head against the wall.

We had a crystal report created and then imported/migrated into a new version of BI 4.0. The report was created with the OLEDB/ADO driver for database connectivity but we needed to run the report in BI using ODBC. The report failed, giving us the dreaded Failed to open the connection.  Details: [Database Vendor Code: 17 ] error whenever we changed the database connection to ODBC in the BI management console (worked when it was set to the default ADO driver).

We opened up the report in crystal reports 2011, changed the database connection type to ODBC and reuploaded into BI 4.0. Ran the report in ODBC and it worked fine. I just need to know whether this is expected behaviour.

Thanks in advance and Happy Halidays.  

Edited by rembi - 22 Dec 2011 at 5:14am
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 6:23am
We are in the process of migrating to BI 4.0 and we have not run into this issue, but then again most of reports do not have an OLEDB/ADO connection.
IP IP Logged
rembi

Quote rembi Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 10:36am
Then maybe you can answer this question:

If I have a report with data configuration using ODBC, can I later change the server type at runtime to use another type (ie DB2, ORACLE, USER SPECIFIED)?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 11:59am
Is the ODBC connection set up correctly on the server where BO is running?  Is your BO 32-bit or 64-bit?  If BO is 32-bit and you're server is 64-bit, you need to set up the 32-bit ODBC connection - it won't work with a 64-bit connection.

Have you tried deleting the report from BO and then uploading it?  Doing that will delete any BO properties from the original report and set it up to run based on the new report.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version