Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Summary on a summary field Post Reply Post New Topic
tazib

Online Status: Offline
Quote tazib Replybullet Topic: Summary on a summary field
    Posted: 19 Oct 2007 at 7:35am
Can any one help I have created a summary field:- max({throughput},{machine}) this is a maximum based on the group machine I want to create an average on this summary how do i create a summar on a summary field I am using crystal version 8.5 pls help this is killing me.

cheers

Taz
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2007 at 8:58am
You have to create a formula that is a manual running total. Put the formula in the group footer so that everytime you print the Max() value, then you add it to the running total. At the end of the report calculate the average of the entire quantity (use Global variables so that you can keep track of the formulas as the report runs).
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
tazib

Quote tazib Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 1:45am
Hi thanks for the response but as I am new to crystal what would my formula be??

If I have created a max({throughput}, {machine}) I want to create an average for this on the group machine. so even though I have created a max summary right next to it I want to have the average of the max summary for each group so all it does is take the maximum into consideration.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 3:04pm
I would create a counter to track how many machines are in the group. Then  create a formula that uses a global variable that gets incremented each time it is called. Put this formula in the group footer. Then create another formula which simply prints the global variable.

The first formula might be:
Global NumberVar NumGroups;
NumGroups := NumGroups + 1;

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
tazib

Quote tazib Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 3:08am
wow your the man..... that worked!!! where can I get your book from???
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 12:19pm
Glad it worked.

Thanks for wanting to buy the book (book sales support this site and keep me answering questions). Just click on the banner ad on any page and it takes you to Amazon. 

Wait, I see that you're from the UK. Well, you can get it at Amazon.co.uk then. Thanks.

Edited by BrianBischof - 25 Oct 2007 at 12:21pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version