Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: 4.5 X .5 Continuous feed labels Post Reply Post New Topic
DoubleD

Online Status: Offline
Quote DoubleD Replybullet Topic: 4.5 X .5 Continuous feed labels
    Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:14am
I am a Syspro user which is hosted in the cloud. One of teh reporting tools in Syspro is crystal report writer CR Devloper Version 12.3.0.601 product type full

I wrote a simple report that print 4 fields  in the following format

JOB
StockCode  D e s c r i p t i on                       Ext QTY

I defined the printer and the page size to be 4.5 X .5 and when I preview the report it looks like the label that I am trying to print to

When I actually print to the printer it goes nuts and just prints  a tiny tiny little ity bity streak down the center of the label.

Too bad its not WYSIWYG  because the screen preview was spot on!
I export the data to Excel, I define the printer, label size and add some margins and I see a preview that looks exactly what I want my label to print like. I hold my bread because I've been down this path before and I tell it to print and low and behold the printer spits out my labels exactly like what appears on the preview.

OK so now I know the drivers and printer is fine but what is wring with crystal report writer why won't it print the label correctly ?

Any help with this would be much appreciated

IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:33am
usually CR is wysiwyg.  Have you tried printing to another printer from CR or just printing a 'normal' report...not formatted to the custom size?

I don't have any experience with different page sizes, but it could be something to do with that as I remember a post from long ago about custom sizes of paper.

Sorry can't be of more help
IP IP Logged
DoubleD

Quote DoubleD Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:38am
Originally posted by lockwelle

usually CR is wysiwyg.  Have you tried printing to another printer from CR or just printing a 'normal' report...not formatted to the custom size?

I don't have any experience with different page sizes, but it could be something to do with that as I remember a post from long ago about custom sizes of paper.

Sorry can't be of more help

All reports 8.5 x 11  are working fine. Its just this label that is acting up. I have printed to another label printer but its the same make and model so that will only prove that the hardware is OK.

Remember the preview looks perfect so if it was wysisyg all should be good. Note If I print the same thing from MS Excel to the same printer the labels print perfectly ! !
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 8:32am
I would make sure that the margins have been reduced from their 1 to 1.5 inch defaults. It would look fine previewing, but be tiny when printing.  I sorta remember having this issue before.
IP IP Logged
DoubleD

Quote DoubleD Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 8:37am
Originally posted by kevlray

I would make sure that the margins have been reduced from their 1 to 1.5 inch defaults. It would look fine previewing, but be tiny when printing.  I sorta remember having this issue before.

You are speaking about the margins in the page setup?

They are fine left .25  and 0 for all the rest  again teh wysiwyg preview  is perfect

IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 8:42am
Yes I was.  Apparently that was not the fix.  Not sure what to try now.
IP IP Logged
DoubleD

Quote DoubleD Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 11:06am
Originally posted by DoubleD

I am a Syspro user which is hosted in the cloud. One of teh reporting tools in Syspro is crystal report writer CR Devloper Version 12.3.0.601 product type full

I wrote a simple report that print 4 fields  in the following format

JOB
StockCode  D e s c r i p t i on                       Ext QTY

I defined the printer and the page size to be 4.5 X .5 and when I preview the report it looks like the label that I am trying to print to

When I actually print to the printer it goes nuts and just prints  a tiny tiny little ity bity streak down the center of the label.

Too bad its not WYSIWYG  because the screen preview was spot on!
I export the data to Excel, I define the printer, label size and add some margins and I see a preview that looks exactly what I want my label to print like. I hold my bread because I've been down this path before and I tell it to print and low and behold the printer spits out my labels exactly like what appears on the preview.

OK so now I know the drivers and printer is fine but what is wring with crystal report writer why won't it print the label correctly ?

Any help with this would be much appreciated

I came across this

I found that when entering your label size and the width is greater than your height, CR 2008 will automatically change the orientation from portrait to Landscape. I think that’s what causes the rotation.

SAP claims to have this fixed in SP2

I don't think our crystal installation has SP2

Edited by DoubleD - 26 Sep 2012 at 11:08am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version