Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Bad String woes Post Reply Post New Topic
HamGiraffe

Online Status: Offline
Quote HamGiraffe Replybullet Topic: Bad String woes
    Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 4:52am
Hi there

I've scanned a number of sites\forums for an answers but I think my ability to articulate my issue is as impaired as my ability to write a functioning formula today.  Any guidance on the below issue would be appreicated.

I'm receiving a bad time format string when running one report.  The forumla it highlights as being the problem is:

if isnull({incident.u_duration_other_time}) then 0 else
if {@Rate} = 2 and time({incident.u_duration_other}) <= time(00,30,00) then 0.5 else
if {@Rate} = 2 and time({incident.u_duration_other}) > time(00,31,00) then 1 else 
if {@Rate} = 1 and time({incident.u_duration_other}) <= time(00,30,00) then 0.375 else
if {@Rate} = 1 and time({incident.u_duration_other}) > time(00,31,00) then 0.75 else 0

The {incident.u_duration_other} is a new field that has been added to the db and historic data has not been added for this field (therefore historically this field will be null).  This field outputs date/time (however the input options for the user only show hours, minutes and seconds - we have no interest in the date element and are looking to ignore this for the purposes of the calculation). 

Many thanks
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 7:11am
the standard way that I debug formula like this is to make lots of formulas that do just 1 part and display the results.
so I would probably create formulas like:

time({incident.u_duration_other})

and of course  time(00,30,00) and  time(00,31,00)

then if all of this works as expected (which I'm guessing it won't) you can start combining them like:
time({incident.u_duration_other}) <= time(00,30,00)

time({incident.u_duration_other}) > time(00,31,00)
etc

this is basically the only way that i can think of to see if CR is thinking/seeing the data the same that i thought it was.

HTH

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 7:31am

i would also follow lockwelles approach.

the likely issue is the time({incident.u_duration_other}) ...
you can also use istime({incident.u_duration_other}) to do more testing. If you get any false results using this it would be an issue as the field could not be converted to a valid time in your original formula
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version