Tips and Tricks
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Tips and Tricks
Message Icon Topic: CR Server: Variable Property Post Reply Post New Topic
RJ Notarius

Online Status: Offline
Quote RJ Notarius Replybullet Topic: CR Server: Variable Property
    Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 4:44am
Forgive me if this is not the right forum to ask this question.

I work for a small insurance broker.  We've been succesfully running Crystal Report Server XI, along with CR XI, for several years now.  As one might expect, as time progresses, more and more reports are being designed and automated, taking advantage of the system.

One small bottleneck I've run into is the limited selection of "variable property placeholders" (ie macros) available in the Destination screens.

Specifically, the DateTime ( %SI_STARTTIME%) macro.

The problem I'm running into is that I'm now being asked to not just email reports to individuals, but store copies of those reports in a common network folder for supervisors to review.  For monthly reports, there would be a new folder for each month.

The macro gives me a complete date/time stamp.  For example, on a report run today at 2:45 AM, 2012-12-20-02-46-19 .  And that's the problem... it's TOO precise.  For what I need to do, to use the example, "2012-12-20" would be enough.

Since it is not possible to expect all of the reports (20 to 25 at a time) to run, and end, and the exact, precise second, if I try to use the DateTime macro as is, I end up with multiple folders -- not one.  Which means a manual cleanup, which defeats the whole point of the automation.

So... are there other date related macros available but undocumented?  If not, is there any way to add them in, or edit the existing macro?

Thanks!

FYI:  The reports being produced are all based on dBase dbf files generated from some programming I write & maintain (long story, unless you know what TAM is).   So I can add a field to the report itself to pull out the requried info, if there's a way to pull from the report into the attached email & directory.  If that helps...
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 8:05am
Unfortunately, as far as I know there is no other date variable that's possible.  However, since you're writing code anyway, you could potentially write a bit of code that would do the following:

1.  Create a folder based on the current date.
2.  Move any report that's in a common temporary destination folder to today's folder.

You could then use the Windows Scheduler to run this program at some point after you expect the reports to finish.  The reports themselves would all be scheduled to export to the common temp folder.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
RJ Notarius

Quote RJ Notarius Replybullet Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 9:01am

I was afraid of that.  Oh well, it was worth a shot.

At this point in time, I'll just continue with what I've been doing... I always email myself a cc of any report.   That way, I know it's actually run, and if a user has a question, it's right at my fingertips.  At present, I just save the attached reports from the Outlook email messages to the folder.  I'll continue to do so.

We currently have a project going on for one of our departments to develop a web-based analysis app.  That will require another internal web server, which will be getting the current version of Crystal.  Once that's in place & the other project operational, the plan was to migrate our reports from CR XI to the updated software & server. 

Hopefully, I'll have more options at that time.  I'll find out in about 4 months!

Thanks again.

Edited by RJ Notarius - 20 Dec 2012 at 9:02am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version