Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Adjusting graphs programatically Post Reply Post New Topic
gav12345

Online Status: Offline
Quote gav12345 Replybullet Topic: Adjusting graphs programatically
    Posted: 20 Dec 2007 at 2:35am
Hello,

We've been using Crystal Reports 10 (and Enterprise 10) for a while on a large scale development project. One thing we've had ongoing issues with are charts.

Essentially there have been a few annoying little glitches. An example is that with line charts, you can only format and save the width etc. of the individual lines on the chart at design time. Any changes made on the preview screen are lost even if you save the report. - This means that you are limited to formatting only the first 4 lines on the chart, since only 4 lines appear at design time.

To get to the point, we thought that it might be possible to have more control of graph formatting if we manipulated the graph programatically. - Does anyone know if, using either Crystal 10, XI, or the .NET version, whether you have more control over charts programatically than you might do in the Crystal designer?

Many thanks for any info.

Gavin
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 20 Dec 2007 at 11:46am
Unfortunately, the customization of charts has been a huge program for Crystal Reports since day 1. This aspect has received numerous complaints and I still haven't seen them respond with a decent charting control with enough customization options. It's pretty sad.

That said, one thing I wonder is if you make the modification in preview mode and then go into Design mode and immediately back into Preview mode, is your change still there? I ask this because you can make some changes to individual charts in preview mode and they will "stick" long-term. But once you make a change to the chart in design mode, then it overrides the changes made in Preview mode.

To make changes to an individual chart, go into Preview mode and right-click the chart and select Applied To This Instance. The changes you make after that will only effect that instance of the chart. Note: this is only available for changes made through the Chart Expert menu option. Other changes are always applied to all the charts. Hopefully, this might help you on your problem.

I talk about customizing charts starting on page 464 of my book Crystal Reports Encyclopedia
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
gav12345

Quote gav12345 Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2007 at 2:55am
Thanks Brian,

Yes, if I format the line in preview mode, switch to design, then go back to preview, the change is still there. Unfortunately, unless I save the data with the report, the change is lost when I close the report and re-open it.

All of our reports are saved to Enterprise 10 and then called via the Enterprise API with a different set of input parameters each time, so its important that they keep the chart formatting changes when the designer is closed (and for obvious reasons we can't save the data with the report). 

With regard to the 'Applied to this Instance' option, I think that may only be available in Crystal 11? Can't seem to see it in CR 10.

Thanks for your help in any case. (I would indeed be tempted to get your book, but find I can get round most glitches using the BO knowledgebase and forums like Tek-Tips and now this one!)

Best wishes, Gavin
IP IP Logged
Lugh

Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2007 at 4:46am
Yea, the charting issues are many and legion.  They plague my every waking hour.

And, yet, when I went to take a training course from BO, mostly to try to figure out what I was (I thought) doing wrong with the charts, the trainer tried to skip the charting chapter!  Apparently, most Crystal users don't use charts.  So BO doesn't commit many resources to producing a better charting tool.  So their charting tool is, to say it politely, less than ideal.  So, as a result, most Crystal users don't use charts.  I think I see an opportunity here for BO to break this cycle.  We'll see if SAP sees the same opportunity.

And, you should get Brian's book.  Because, it will answer questions for you that you never even knew to ask before.

IP IP Logged
Dan3D

Quote Dan3D Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 9:31pm

I hope you'll check out my CRChart replacement library.

I created it specifically to solve many of the common frustations faced by developers trying to do charting in CR. 

Grab a free evaluation version at www.threedgraphics.com

-Dan @ 3D

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version