Writing Code
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Writing Code
Message Icon Topic: Just Starting with Crystal Reports Post Reply Post New Topic
Enzyme80

Online Status: Offline
Quote Enzyme80 Replybullet Topic: Just Starting with Crystal Reports
    Posted: 19 Jan 2007 at 11:04am
Not sure I got this in the correct forum.

Ok, yesterday I was told to look into Crystal Reports. They gave me a copy of Visual Studio 05' and said basically let us know if it is going to work.
Now from what I have seen it seems really easy to setup reports and link to a database (right now using an access 97 database). We are going to be creating a web page for our customers. This page will allow their customers to login with a customer number / password (or user name / password ) and then display their information. Now I want to create reports for that customer, simple things like history.

Here are a few of my questions:

1. I know it is possible or should be possible but have not found out how to do this. All I want to do is create my sql statement such as sql = select fname, name, cstnum from customers where cstnum = var
I want var to equal their customer number. Now i can do it like this sql = select fname, name, cstnum from customers where cstnum = 1001. However I cannot make it equal to a dynamic variable. I am sure I am missing something just not sure what that something is.

2. How fast are crystal reports on the Web? So far everything seems to be ok but I am running this all locally right now.

3. Anyone know of any good tutorials for crystal reports?

Thanks
Kevin
IP IP Logged
Enzyme80

Online Status: Offline
Quote Enzyme80 Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 8:58am
ok so i was not being smart... just needed a few days to get my thoughts straight and figure it out.
Something like this worked for me.

Dim rpt As ReportDocument = New ReportDocument

rpt.Load(Server.MapPath("crystalreport1.rpt"))

rpt.SetParameterValue("CN", Val(Session.Item("CN")))

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = rpt

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version