Tips and Tricks
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Tips and Tricks
Message Icon Topic: How to translate date codes into dates Post Reply Post New Topic
dbodell
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote dbodell Replybullet Topic: How to translate date codes into dates
    Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 3:29am
I run a lot of reports off of BOE scheduler. Most of them have to have date ranges entered. Instead of using specific dates and scheduling the reports multiple times, I like to use what I call interpreted date codes. These are codes like:
t = today
t-1 = yesterday
t+1=tomorrow
w = current week
m = current month
mb = beginning of current month
me = end of current month
mb-1 = beginning of previous month
mb+1 = beginning of next month
me-1 = end of previous month
etc.

That way I just enter a parameter date code and the report always interprets the code into the correct date.

The formula for this is:

// Accepts a date as a string in mm/dd/yyyy, yyyy-mm-dd, or

// relative (t-45) format. Returns a standard Crystal date.

local numberVar NRange;

local numberVar NOperator;

local stringVar SInterval;

local stringVar STemp;

local numberVar NPos;

if IsDate({?EndDate}) then Date({?EndDate})                     //If proper Crystal date was entered, don't change

else

(

if InStr({?EndDate},"+")>0 then NOperator:=1                //Plus or minus?

else NOperator:=-1;

STemp:=Replace({?EndDate},"+","-");                         //Convert + to -, for easier string manipulation

NPos:=Instr(STemp,"-");

If NumericText(Mid(STemp,NPos+1)) then          //Extract and make sure valid number

NRange:=toNumber((Mid(STemp,NPos+1)))

else NRange:=0;

if NPos>0 then

SInterval:=Left(STemp,NPos)                    //Extract first part. Ex. "T" or "W"

else SInterval:=STemp;

if Left(SInterval,1)="T" or SInterval="TODAY" then          //Dates relative to Today

CDate(DateAdd("d",(NOperator*NRange),DataDate))

else if Left(SInterval,1)="W" or SInterval="WEEK" then      //Dates relative to this week

CDate(DateAdd("ww",(NOperator*NRange),DataDate))

else if Left(SInterval,2)="MB" then                         //Dates relative to beginning of this month

CDate(DateAdd("m",(NOperator*NRange),

DateValue(DatePart("yyyy",DataDate), DatePart("m",DataDate), 1)))

else if Left(SInterval,2)="ME" then                         //Dates relative to end of this month

DateSerial(year(DataDate), month(DataDate) + (NOperator*NRange) + 1, 1 - 1)

else if Left(SInterval,1)="M" or SInterval="MONTH" then     //Dates relative to this month

CDate(DateAdd("m",(NOperator*NRange),DataDate))

else if Left(SInterval,2)="YB" then                         //Dates relative to beginning of this year

CDate(DateAdd("yyyy",(NOperator*NRange),DateValue(DatePart("yyyy",DataDate), 1, 1)))

else if Left(SInterval,2)="YE" then                         //Dates relative to end of this year

CDate(DateAdd("yyyy",(NOperator*NRange),DateValue(DatePart("yyyy",DataDate), 12, 31)))

else if Left(SInterval,1)="Y" or SInterval="YEAR" then      //Dates relative to this year

CDate(DateAdd("yyyy",(NOperator*NRange),DataDate))

else if Left(SInterval,1)="Q" or SInterval="QUARTER" then   //Dates relative to this quarter

CDate(DateAdd("q",(NOperator*NRange),DataDate))

else                                                        // Error trap

DataDate

)

So you create parameters called EndDate  and StartDate making them strings. I usually enter in the list of basic values like the ones I have above.
Then you use the above code to create two formulas: InterpretedEndDate and InterpretedStartDate. 

You use the InterpretedStartDate and InterpretedEndDate to do your record selections.

I also have created a SQL function that does the same thing only this allows you to pass a date code to a SQL stored procedure and to have the stored procedure interpret the date code. If interested, I can send it to you.
Hope this helps someone.

Thanks,
D. Bodell
IP IP Logged
send2steph

Online Status: Offline
Quote send2steph Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 11:33am
I developed QB and QE variations to add to this code today. Posting here for others to see.

else if Left(SInterval,2)="QB" then                         //Dates relative to beginning of this quarter
         DateSerial(YEAR(DateAdd("m", (-(((MONTH(DataDate) mod 3) + 2) mod 3)+(3*(NOperator*NRange))), DataDate)),MONTH(DateAdd("m", (-(((MONTH(DataDate) mod 3) + 2) mod 3)+(3*(NOperator*NRange))), DataDate)),1)

else if Left(SInterval,2)="QE" then                         //Dates relative to end of this quarter
         DateSerial(YEAR(DateAdd("m", (-(((MONTH(DataDate) mod 3) + 2) mod 3)+3+(3*(NOperator*NRange))), DataDate)),MONTH(DateAdd("m", (-(((MONTH(DataDate) mod 3) + 2) mod 3)+3+(3*(NOperator*NRange))), DataDate)),1)

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version