Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Sage Timberline pre-made crystal form Post Reply Post New Topic
pnnky

Online Status: Offline
Quote pnnky Replybullet Topic: Sage Timberline pre-made crystal form
    Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 2:52pm

Hello all,

I would like to state that I have no formal training in Crystal/databases, which is probably why I’m experiencing this problem in the first place. By tinkering with existing reports I’ve learned quite a bit but there must be some fundamental data connectivity concept that is lacking. Here is the setup:

Sage Timberline 9.5.0 w/ update 6

Crystal Reports XI R2

Win XP w/ SP3

I’m trying to modify a pre-existing crystal report that comes stock with Timberline. If I run the report directly in Timberline, as is and unmodified, it runs fine. If I open it in Crystal and try and to print preview, it gives me a couple errors.

First, it says the data folder doesn’t exist. In the formula of the report it has an entry for

tsDataFolder = “c:\tsData\”

I don’t understand why this is hardcoded into the report, yet it works when I run in out of Timberline directly when my data does not reside there.

Second, if I correct the above entry and run a print preview I get a number of errors due to “no such table or object exists.” In the report, the Timberline Data Source has tables that look like this

“ARA_ACTIVITY__ACTIVITY”

Whereas the connected Timberline Data Source I’m working with has tables like

“ACTIVITY_ARA_ACTIVITY”

Every single one of the tables in the report has this transposed naming convention. If I then select “Set the Datasource location” and manually replace all of the tables with the correct ones from my datasource, Viola! I can print preview!

I then proceed to run the report from Timberline and the application crashes! Even if I take the original report and only try to link another table from the datasource, it still crashes when I try to run it in Timberline.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,

-J

IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 8:21am
My experience with modifying reports that were designed to run within an application is that you may be in for a lot of frustration.  Most times, the report is looking for files, datasources, etc. that are not available outside of the application.   In most cases, I have to make the changes, post it back to the application and run it there (and hope for the best).
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version