Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: 255 Character Limit in Crystal 2008 Post Reply Post New Topic
thummel1

Online Status: Offline
Quote thummel1 Replybullet Topic: 255 Character Limit in Crystal 2008
    Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 9:17am
Hi, I'm using Crystal Reports 2008. I am linked up to an Excel worksheet (.xls). When I bring the dtaa fields from the Excel document into the Crystel report, it's limiting the characters to 255. I have the "Can Grow" checked, with 0 as the character limit.

I'm not sure why else this would occur? I'm expecting in some cases a couple thousand characters.

Thanks for your suggestions!
"Press any key to continue. Where's the 'Any' Key?" ~Homer Simpson
IP IP Logged
praveeng

Quote praveeng Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 1:28am
Hi,

There is a workaround for this.. May be this will help you to resolve this issue...
Try to find the length of the String and the using Left, Mid and Right string functions you may display the data.

Left({Database_field},255) & Mid({Database_field},256,510) & Mid({Database_field},511,765)......

Please note that In Crystal Reports (CR), a report is created using the Microsoft Excel Add-In. In Excel, some cells in a column may have more than 255 characters so CR should see this column as a memo field. However, when the report is created in CR, this column appears as a string field.

Crystal Reports sees this column as a string field because the cell in the second row of this column has less than 255 characters.

In Excel, the first row of a column will be the field title in CR. The second row, where the data begins, determines what the value type of the field will be. If this second row has 255 characters or less, it will be a string field in CR. If subsequent rows in this column have more than 255 characters they will also be considered string fields and therefore truncated at 255 characters in CR.

A probable  work around for this, in Excel, move a cell with more than 255 characters into the second row of the column. CR will now see this column as a memo field.

--Praveen G
Praveen Guntuka,
praveen_guntuka@yahoo.com
IP IP Logged
thummel1

Quote thummel1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 2:41am
Thank you! This was a workable solution. I will make sure the first record in the Excel report is a "test" record. In each of the columns where I need to be able to read more than 255 characters, I have the word "test" repeated until I have passed 255 charatacters. I will just suppress this record from view.
"Press any key to continue. Where's the 'Any' Key?" ~Homer Simpson
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version