Writing Code
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Writing Code
Message Icon Topic: Create ActiveX DLL for Crystal Reports UDL Functio Post Reply Post New Topic
rusmanicai

Online Status: Offline
Quote rusmanicai Replybullet Topic: Create ActiveX DLL for Crystal Reports UDL Functio
    Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 10:38am
Hello!

I got a new project on my desk and have no idea how to accomplish it.
I am working with SQL Server 2012 and Crystal Reports 11.
I have a report that is being emailed through an automated email application (Reportal) to the Ink Department.
The email contains a list of job numbers and job description for all jobs in process that need ink mixed.
The Operations Manager is upset because it takes a long time for the ink matcher to clock in each job number and say ink mix is done.
He wants me to add a button on the report and somehow pass the job number for each row to some kind of code that would clock the ink matcher into the job.

I have a theory, if it can be explained into words, it can be done.
I spent the last two days reading and trying to come up with a plan.

Apparently I need to create a DLL - ActiveX which can be copied into the Crystal Report folder and used as a function in the Crystal Report.

I could use a hyperlink and in the hyperlink formula call out this function, and pass the job number for each row to the function which will insert a record into the Production table (which records each clock in).

I know SQL, I know how to insert a record in a table... I actually wrote the code.... but I don't know how to create a DLL that would contain that code.

To do that, I need Visual Basic and have no idea how to use it.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you!
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 9:31am
What version of Crystal are you using? I think that your best bet is going to be to use a hyperlink/URL rather than an ActiveX URL. I think Microsoft has put so must security around running ActiveX controls, that you're going to run into issues trying to run it.

If you write a web service using either Java or Visual Studio (.NET) and set the hyperlink to send data to the web service, you could do almost anything to set the data you need.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version