Message Icon Topic: join 2 different database Post Reply Post New Topic
taniarto
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote taniarto Replybullet Topic: join 2 different database
    Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 10:47pm
dear all,
I have 2 databases those are sql server and sybase anywhere 11. I need to make a report contain of 2 tables inside those database. Right now I just create the report by ODBC connection. The report can be create but the problems are the report is running very slow. Does any one have experience creating report like I do? and make it faster?

thx

Tan
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 11:16am
I am assuming you are using sub-report(s) to get this on one report.  Sub-reports can be serious performance killers depending on where the sub-report lands and whether or not you are using commands (vs. tables) for pulling the data.  Of course there is always indexing at the database level.  No easy answer here.
IP IP Logged
Erik
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Erik Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2015 at 7:44am
I've tried joining a SQL table to an Oracle table before in Crystal using the Database Expert, and even with identical field values to link them with it took an extraordinary amount of time for a basic query and would not complete.

I've only had success when doing 2 separate SQL databases, and I did it entirely through SQL with a right join. Even with that "clean" scenario (as much as I like Crystal, it causes code bloat on the back end) it still takes 5-10 minutes for the report to run.

It might be possible to setup up an Access Linked Database to see if you can pull data from both of the other databases into a single repository, if not an Excel Data Connection Wizard.

To do it legit, you'd want to engage a DBA to use SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services).
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version