Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: OLE object shows up on some computers, not others Post Reply Post New Topic
brain

Online Status: Offline
Quote brain Replybullet Topic: OLE object shows up on some computers, not others
    Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 6:38pm
Some computers having CR2016 will display the actual image that comes from a linked picture or OLE object, and others will not.

This has to be a clue: when I try to insert a .tiff image by clicking Insert → Picture, the computer on which the OLE object shows the picture when the report is run shows a list of all .tif images in the selected folder. This computer is Win10 with CR2016 SP5. And if I insert the picture this way, it immediately appears in the report. I just noticed that this computer has TIFF files on the dropdown list of image Files of Type.

But on the Win7 computer with CR2016SP8 that shows a blank pane where the picture should be when running the report, Insert → Picture shows nothing in the folder. And this computer does not have TIFF files on the dropdown list of image Files of Type.

But I also have a Win10 computer with CR2016SP8 that does not show TIFFs.

So it is not just about Windows 7 vs 10.

What, exactly, is it in Crystal that determines which file types are valid?
IP IP Logged
brain

Quote brain Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 7:20pm
I have now compared four different Windows/Crystal versions and see this: when I try to insert a .tiff image by clicking Insert → Picture, I get success (see the picture) or not depending on the version of Crystal:

Win7, CR2016 SP5: It has TIFF files on the dropdown list of image Files of Type. I insert the picture, and it immediately appears in the report.
Win10, CR2016 SP5: It has TIFF files on the dropdown list of image Files of Type. I insert the picture, and it immediately appears in the report.
Win10, CR2016SP7. It shows TIFF as a valid type on the list during Insert Picture but gives me the "Could not insert this file as a picture: [.TIFF path & filename]. It is not a supported image file.
Win7, CR2016 SP8: I attempt to insert the picture and get this: "Could not insert this file as a picture: [.TIFF path & filename]. It is not a supported image file." It does not have TIFF files on the dropdown list of image Files of Type.
The pattern I see here is that, in my admittedly small pool of systems, CR2016 newer than SP5 has problems inserting TIFFs. There appears to be something regressive happening here. I am trying SP8 patches now to see if that solves the problem or if .tiff is something that SAP has relegated to the dust heap.
IP IP Logged
brain

Quote brain Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 8:42pm
Well, now I have a real Ouch! moment. I updated a Win10 station from CR2016 SP​5--where TIFFs were working perfectly--to SP8Patch2. And now TIFFs are no longer on the list of images that can be inserted and generate the "...not a supported image file" if I switch to All Files and try anyway.

Did SAP remove this functionality intentionally, or is this a bug? If so, it is kind of a big deal because we have an image-indexing system that is core to our operations, and we have reports that include TIFFs that currently need to be updated in the next few days due to a recent major upgrade in that software.

If a bug, is there any process for reporting it? Otherwise, it seems my only option is to remove SP8 and revert to SP5.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version