Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Can CR10 connect to a Advance Revelation database? Post Reply Post New Topic
JonShort

Online Status: Offline
Quote JonShort Replybullet Topic: Can CR10 connect to a Advance Revelation database?
    Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 12:25pm
Greetings all,

I'm new to crystal report writing and was wondering if Crystal Report v10 can connect to a database that was created using Advance Revelations. I was told that it couldn't but just want a second opinion from some experts.

Thanks

Jon Short
IP IP Logged
Iago
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Iago Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2008 at 6:05am
Take this all with a grain of salt.
I think AR is a PICK database, which is also called a multi valued database.  This database system violates first normal form.  I had to do the same thing with another PICK database at an old job.  The vendor provided a ODBC driver, but they also had to write some sort of translation layer to remove the first normal form violation.

In the end with a table of 1.5 million rows, it never worked.  Microsoft DTS was able to select * from table for all the tables.  So we created a datamart and had DTS populate it each night.  Also they did not date the records so a delta was not an option.

The ODBC driver had a memory leak.  So I did some searching for another option.  There are vendors out there, but you will still need to deal with the First normal form violation.

You might want to think about exporting your data to a text file and then importing it into SQL Mysql postgress or Oracle with an ETL tool like DI DTS or SSIS.

I did a Google search and came up with this company.  I know nothing about them.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version