Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Handling Large Data Sets in CR2005.net Post Reply Post New Topic
Dilip Nagle

Online Status: Offline
Quote Dilip Nagle Replybullet Topic: Handling Large Data Sets in CR2005.net
    Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 8:44pm

The Situation:

When one develops a Web Based Application for Real Life situations, following things happen:

a) Processing of Large volumes of Data on Server

b) Creation of Large Data Sets

c) Creation of voluminious(say 1500 pages of ) Crystal Reports e.g. reports with sub-totals and totals for each key such as a product, a warehouse, a branch, a region etc. etc. which are difficult to process in parts(i.e. by giving a From-To Range of keys), e.g. Bill of Material Explosion for Production Planning to workout Material Requirement, Placing of Purchase orders erc.

d) Creation of large Reports with sub Reports (Linked Sub Reports)

e) Exporting such Reports to say a *.pdf file.

The Problem:

a) There are various timeouts - at a Database level, at a Session Level, at a Server level and at a Page level in a Browser.

b) Since Datasets are memory resident, making available large Main memory is a serious problem (even 4GB is found to be less).

c) Crystal Reports with Sub Reports(Linked) for more than 1000 times linkages for each main key of the Main Report.

d) The system throws out with various errors such as server timeout / page not available etc.

e) The Report-Sub Report situation which works in VS2003 beautifully, gives an a error 'Missing Parameter Values' when run in VS2005. (There is a so called patch in Business Objects' site, but it does not work.)

How to resolve these issues. I have posted these on 'n' no of forums but none seem to be replying or havaing any answer. People talk of AJAX etc. but that does not solve these problems.

Brian,

I am hoping that you - an Authority in Crystal Reports help me to resolve these issues.

What I have Done:

a) At a database level, I have increased timeout as follows:
    oSQLCommand.CommandTimeout = 1800

b) I have tried to process reports in parts by giving small From-To Key Ranges to cut down the size of the Reports whereever possible.

c) Created a new dataset where sub report data also comes as a single table so that there are no subreports. 

d) Increased session timeouts, server.scripttimeout etc.

BUT STILL THERE ARE MANY SITUATIONS WHERE DATA PROCESSING AND REPORT PRODUCTION IS VERY HEAVY.

I hope that this forum helps to solve these real issues.

With Regards,

Dilip Nagle

Dilip Nagle
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 11:06am
Processing large reports through the web is always problematic and not really a good solution.  For reports that will be churning through a lot of data, your best solution may be to use something to schedule them and then just view the already generated instance of the report.  You can do this through Crystal Server which is MUCH less expensive to license than Business Objects Enterprise.  There are also some scheduling solutions here http://www.kenhamady.com/bookmarks.html.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version