Tips and Tricks
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Tips and Tricks
Message Icon Topic: storage and deployment of rpt files Post Reply Post New Topic
dimsrobert

Online Status: Offline
Quote dimsrobert Replybullet Topic: storage and deployment of rpt files
    Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 9:04am
Hello all-

I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

Currently we deploy an application with around 1100 reports. Due to customer security the report must be stored locally by them on their server with no outside access. Due to this we currently ship them new and updated reports which are stored in a standard \reports folder. One of the problems with this is the integrity of the rpt file itself. Storage of the reports in this manner allows the users to open the reports (if they have CR installed) and make changes which then are manifested when ran within the application.

I would like to store / deploy the reports in a different manner but I don't know that much about it and I am not sure what methodology would work the best.

Being that out data is stored in a SQL server can rpt files be stored in a SQL table (like a blob?) If so if it easy to call the reports from the table?

Can you store rpt files in DLLs?

I know we could assemble the reports inside the application itself but that would require a release when one off report changes take place.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here or if what I am thinking about possible?

Thanks a lot for any and all responses!

Rob
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 9:21am
I'm not real familiar with this, but I never heard of a report being stored in a SQL table. However, I know that there are articles on the web about storing various files in SQL Server, and the logic there might apply to CR as well. It's worth a shot to research it.

Re storing it in a DLL versus and application. Since you can create a .NET application and embed the report inside of it, it's very possible to create a .NET class and add a report to it. If this works, then each class could have just one report in it and you can deploy that to the customer. THen in you application, call the DLL to get the report object from it. It is definitely worth trying.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
delstar

Quote delstar Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2009 at 8:02am
Reportal http://www.shahrabani.com/. It provides a web-based interface for viewing reports as well as scheduling to printer or e-mail. Integrates with Active Directory, and has basic security (reports can only be viewed by certain users, users can be formed into groups, etc).
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version