Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Deploying C# form with CR viewer Post Reply Post New Topic
cobill

Online Status: Offline
Quote cobill Replybullet Topic: Deploying C# form with CR viewer
    Posted: 09 Dec 2008 at 12:01pm
I haven't used CR for years and am brand new to C#, but I developed a form using Visual Studio and the default version of CR that VS ships with.  The executable is facmoveprintlist.exe  It runs fine on my local machine, but after XCopying it to the server, I get the following application error when I try to open it:

.NET Runtime 2.0 Error: EventType clr20r3, P1 facmoveprntlist.exe, P2 1.0.0.0, P3 48ff93fb, P4 facmoveprntlist, P5 1.0.0.0, P6 48ff93fb, P7 1e, P8 6, P9 system.io.filenotfoundexception, P10 NIL.

Do I need to load some software on the server (maybe CrystalReports.mis?) before trying to run a report there?  Thanks.

cobill
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 6:36pm
Hope you have solved the problem by now, but if not...

I am not certain what you have done to insure CR is on the machine you done the Xcopy  to. So far as I know you will need to do some form of an install of CR on that machine.  This can be done in several ways, for a WinForm app I generally create an setup application that includes the correct merge modules. I also make sure that the keycode is in the merge module as required. I then run the install program install the report application and the necessary CR runtime components.  This assumes you have the rights to run the setup on the machine you want the report to run from.

Obviously if you have done all these things then your problem lies elsewhere.

I have always found the guidance in deploying CR applications difficult to sort out but it is available. It should be part of what is available in the VS Studio/CR help files.

Regards,

John W.

IP IP Logged
cobill

Quote cobill Replybullet Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 10:24am

Thanks, John.  Actually, I thought I had it solved simply by copying the CRRedist2008_x86.msi file to the server, but when it ran, my report came out with each page only being about 1/2 normal width and double the number of pages.  Unfortunately, like an idiot, I upgraded CR, and now I'm back to the error I had before and just installing a .msi file doesn't work this time. 

You're probably right, I should just install CR on the server.  Thanks.

Bill

cobill
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 11:18am

For me this whole deployment thing can be a challenge.  Moving from the development/test environment, where you control everything, to production is often where you find things beyond your control. 

I am not sure all of the issues but the error does seem to point to a .Net file not found error. There are filenames which may be more meaningful to you.

As I said, I create a Setup application insuring I have the appropraite merge modules, keycode included. I then run the setup application on the server or have it run by the server administrator. 

I cant think of time this has not resulted in a successful deployment. You will also want to make sure the person running the report application has all the necessary permissions to the application and folders. My experience with deployment has been the devil is in the details. Its usely been a pretty straightforward solution once I have figured out the problem.

I dont know that I can offer anything more than encouragement. Perhaps someone else on the forum will have seen this particular error and be able to give you a concrete solution.

Regards,

John W.
IP IP Logged
cobill

Quote cobill Replybullet Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 11:22am
Thanks again, John.  I think I'll see if the server admin can help me with a setup application.  As you said, it is challenging when things aren't in your control.

Bill
cobill
IP IP Logged
cobill

Quote cobill Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 9:16am
John (or anyone),
I tried to do an installation package instead of the XCopy and I get the same error.  This brings me to a basic financial question - I'm developing on my laptop with Visual Studio and CR2008.  The machine I'm trying to get the application to run on is a production server.  So, without buying anything else from Business Objects beyond my upgrade to CR, am I supposed to be able to legally run this report on a production server - or several production servers?  If so, what is my motivation to spend $3,000 on a license for CR Server?  Is it only for the web apps (which I don't really need)?  Or is it necessary to run any report developed with CR?  Thanks.

cobill
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 12:02pm

I do deploy CR in .Net applications all the time, so I know it can be done. I am a VB.net person so I cant speak to the C# side of the house.

In looking at the error message it seems to be saying that .Net cannot find the application.  These are cryptic so that might not be what it means. It also says the error is coming from the .Net CLR. 

I have no idea the state of the things on your end. I would make certain the .Net environment is the same on both machines. I would make certain there are proper permission to the application site ( the error message is about the application not being found). I would see if the server admin can run the application on the server directly from the server. They likely have more persmissions and that may help focus the problem. I would have them check the event logs in the server to see if there is information in them that might be of help.

I am not seeing anything in the error message that points to a CR problem. That may come but right now its looks like the failure is on the .Net side of things.

Again the messages are cryptic so perhaps it is someting else.

It will have a solution and odds are it will prove simple to correct.

Regards,

John W.

www.CustomReportWriters.net

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version