Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: ??? Concat fields from 2nd table ??? Post Reply Post New Topic
peter
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote peter Replybullet Topic: ??? Concat fields from 2nd table ???
    Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 2:04pm
Hi Help,
I'm trying to concatenate values from a 2nd table and displayed it on the report header but could not get it to work. Here is what I need:
1) my report reads data from EMP table and displays:
 EmplID, EmpName. The EMP table links to EMP Type tbale by EmpType key to only process records found in EMP Type table.
2) while processing I want colect/append all the EMP types matched and put them on string then display it on the report header to let user know those are the EMP types have been processed.

I've tried all kind of ways but It would not work. I just dont understand why BO created the CR Designer with so much limitations ???
Please let me know how to resolve it. There must be a simple way ?

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 3:47pm
There are already a few posts like this on the forum. You could search on "concatenate" and probably find them. There are a couple things you need to be aware of. First, CR only processes records one at a time and shows them in the Details section. So you can't put all records in one big string in the same section. What you could do is use a subreport to process the records and put them in a global string variable and then display them on the report. But if you do this then you'll have to be tricky about how the subreport data is displayed.

You might also be able to use a label format in the subreport so that all the fields are shown right next to the other, but you might not be happy with the final layout on that one.

Search the forum for more details as well. I know we've had two posts in the past on this subject.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
peter
Groupie
Groupie

Quote peter Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 3:54pm
Thank you, Brian.
You're right I have tried those ideas and I was not happy with that because so many code would have to be done to accomplish something that it should be simple. CR!!! CR!!! CR!!!
I'll look for the "concatenate" on the forum.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version