Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Any assistance Post Reply Post New Topic
stanton

Online Status: Offline
Quote stanton Replybullet Topic: Any assistance
    Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 4:22pm
I am just starting out on Crystal Reports 8.5 at work, and I am attempting to learn the application on my own, until my employer kicks in some $$ for me to get some training. I realize this forum is geared for versions 9 and above; I only have ver. 8.5, so I apologize!
First of all I 'inherited' my computer at work from another associate and I need to find out several things about the Crystal Reports on my machine.
I am unable to access 'Help' whether I click on 'Help' from the menu bar or push 'F1'. Also, I am not able to access the 'Toggle Group Tree' button from the 'Formatting Toolbar' 9its grayed out). Do I need to contact my IT people/supervisor to get permissions or rights to be able to access these? I would think not. I am also not able to link any fields from one table to another. I either do not see the link, or I get an error message stating that "Invalid Link". "Not an indexed field". I'm not sure why that is happening.
I am new in this position, and there is no one else in this office that knows how to create Crystal Reports, they only know how to run them.
Does anyone have any insight as to where I may get some answers to my questions, or where a good training source would be?
I am sure there is a plethora of information on this forum, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Thanks in advance to all who are willing help!

Edited by stanton - 11 Mar 2009 at 4:24pm
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 6:26am
You should be able to access help, and if all links result in an error, I think you should contact IT and have them reinstall Crystal.

I learned most of what I know about Crystal by using it, but the best reference that I have seen...and there don't seem to be too many (at least not in the book store) is Brian's book.  While it is geared to Crystal XI, most of ideas and functions date back to at least Crystal 7, when I started.

Good Luck
IP IP Logged
stanton

Quote stanton Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 2:13pm
hey thanks, lockwell! I don't think I am familiar with Brian's book. Can you give me the title?
I appreciate the help!
IP IP Logged
stanton

Quote stanton Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 3:03pm
duhh....!nevermind lockwell; I see the books you are referring to
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version