Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Dynamic parameter dropdown missing items Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
savethepennies

Online Status: Offline
Quote savethepennies Replybullet Topic: Dynamic parameter dropdown missing items
    Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 9:23am
I have come across a problem that I can not figure out. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Many of the reports we use have dynamic parameters. When the report is run these parameters are dropdowns on the Crystal parameter page. Because we are using Crystal Reports 2008 the dropdowns are paginated in order to show more options than will fit in a single dropdown list. The problem is that the dropdown lists are still missing values. I have not been able to figure out a pattern for the ones that are missing though the same values are consistently missing. There are several parameters that are exhibiting the same behavior.

I know that in previous versions of Crystal there were issues with the built-in limit for the number of items in the list and that the limit could be adjusted using a registry tweak. We are using Crystal Reports 2008 where the pagination of the dropdowns was supposed to address that issue.

Thanks in advance. Any ideas would be helpful as it is affecting more and more and has quickly become a priority issue.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 6:56am
are the values that are missing, do they have records in the database?

if you do a select and use all the prior conditions in the dynamic parameter, do you get a result with the parameter that is missing.  Crystal will drop values that are NULL or return an empty report.  After all, what is the point of running a report so a list of options if you know that the result is an empty report?

That is my first thought on why parameters are missing.  I'm not on CR2008, nor do I use the CR parameter input screens due to licensing issues and the fact that they are not fun nor helpful to work with.

HTH
IP IP Logged
savethepennies

Quote savethepennies Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 12:20pm
Thanks for the response. Let me answer the questions for continuity's sake. The records do appear in the database and can be seen when running queries directly on the database. Crystal has no idea if a value will return an empty report since we are using stored procedures to generate the report.

After spending more time searching I have discovered that I misunderstood the change made in Crystal 2008. And according to the many threads I have been searching through I am convinced I am not the only one in that situation. Here is what I have discovered in hopes that some other poor searcher finds this and resolves their problem quicker than I did.

The introduction of the paginated dropdowns did not change the 1000 row limit, it just made it easier to manage and sort through long lists. The limit is now 5 pages of 200 items (so yes, still 1000). In order to show more than the default 1000 rows  a registry tweak must be used. The tweak is not in the same path as posts dealing with this problem in previous version outlined.

To display more than the default 5 pages (or 1000 rows) add the following key to the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV

Then add the following String Value:

MaxRowsetRecords

Set MaxRowsetRecords to the desired value. As far as I can tell there is not a value that can be used to allow an unlimited number but it will allow more than what I currently have a need for. Hopefully that helps others searching for this wonderfully undocumented feature.

Edited by savethepennies - 15 Oct 2009 at 12:22pm
IP IP Logged
IRatCR

Quote IRatCR Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 4:35pm
I just saw your post and I have been running into the same problem with the dynamic parameters cutting off my records.

I went into my registry to edit the folder and did not find an LOV folder inside Database Options. I tried just putting the MaxRowsetRecords string value into the Database Options folder, but that didn't work.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to using the registry and I don't want to mess something up.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your post.
IP IP Logged
savethepennies

Quote savethepennies Replybullet Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 8:00am

Registry entries do not have any fudge room; they have to be in the right place. It is not suprising that the path did not exist when you looked in the registry. Create the folder(s) that are missing so that the path exists by right-clicking and selecting New>Key. Then place the value in the folder just as described above. If the value is not in the right place it does not matter where else you put it.

IP IP Logged
IRatCR

Quote IRatCR Replybullet Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 5:03pm
Well, I created the folder and it worked perfectly. Thank you for your help.
IP IP Logged
crystalem

Quote crystalem Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:16pm
<<<Set MaxRowsetRecords to the desired value. As far as I can tell there is not a value that can be used to allow an unlimited number but it will allow more than what I currently have a need for.>>>

Try setting it to -1 for an unlimited number
IP IP Logged
savethepennies

Quote savethepennies Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:26pm
I did come across that when I was looking for a solution. The -1 setting seemed to have worked previously but did not work for 2008. I did try it because it would be easier than trying to specify a number bigger than what foreseeable needs will be. These little differences make it seem like this "feature" was not carried over directly from XI to 2008.

Good thought. If somebody else has luck with it then great but don't get your hopes up before hand.
IP IP Logged
Jyri

Quote Jyri Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 2:07am
Hey,

I saw this topic and hoped that I would get some help, but those suggestions above didn't help for me.

So what I'm getting with dynamic parameter is exactly 1000 rows.
That is half of what there is (I know it's alot but it really would be necessary)

So what I did was :

added key to registry :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV

I had to create the whole chagin from Business Objects onwards...because I didn't have Suite 12.0 key at all. All I had was Suite 11.0. Maybe there is something wrong with whole installation, and I should repair the Crystal Reports XI installation.

My version of Crystal is 11.0.0.2495

If someone could help me with this, I would be very grateful.

- Jyri
IP IP Logged
Jyri

Quote Jyri Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 3:23am
Hey,

Okay, problem solved now.

Added registry key : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 11.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV

and then added the MaxRowsetRecords string with a spesific value.

- Jyri
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version