Announcements
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Announcements
Message Icon Topic: ideal setup for learning Post Reply Post New Topic
downzy

Online Status: Offline
Quote downzy Replybullet Topic: ideal setup for learning
    Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 5:37am
   I am interested in learning CR as a report developer.  What would be a good setup on my PC for doing this?  I search Ebay for versions of CR and it seems there are 'Professional' and 'Developer' versions.  I also see the prices are all over the place.  What price range should I expect?  What database should I use while training?  I have Access and MySQL.  Would either of these to the job?  Do any CR report developers out there do any telecommuting?
   I have been watching this forum for a while before registering and it seems like the start of a real positive community.  That stems from you, Brian, and your desire to be a good resource.  Thank you.
Gary
Life ain't nuthin but a funny, funny riddle...
J. Denver
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 12:18pm
Glad you like the forum!

I don't know what your ultimate goals are, but I would get CR Pro b/c the Standard edition is lacking database capabilities and upgrading to it is inevitable if you're going to be in this business. However, the Standard version is much cheaper and your company/client will probably have the Pro version for you.

If you are a software developer, you can get Visual Studio .NET Pro (not the Express editions), and CR comes with it and lets you integrate reports into custom applications and web sites. Again, this is only if you are a programmer.

Re databases, don't use MySql b/c its not fully supported. MS Access is the best/cheapest way to learn.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
downzy

Quote downzy Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 1:56pm
   I am a mainframe programmer (cobol, vsam, db2, etc) with a little powerbuilder experience.  Are you saying Crystal Reports comes with Visual Studio .NET Pro?  Or just the reverse?  Maybe I'll start walking with CR and learn to run with .NET later. 
   I'm looking forward to getting your book and will be reading the online chapters until then.  Technical books have never been cheap but I think your retail price is reasonable especially with this forum as an additional resource.
   Thanks again. 
Life ain't nuthin but a funny, funny riddle...
J. Denver
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 2:48pm
Yes, a version of CR comes with .NET. But yeah, it's best to just learn CR for now and worry about .NET later. But being a programmer, you'll pick it up pretty quick. Yes, technical books are pretty expensive. But sales on them are generally pretty thin compared to the countless hours put into research and writing. I hope to make a few bucks off the book, but I'm definitely not quiting my day job.    I appreciate it whenever somebody from the forum buys one even when I have lots of free content online.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version