Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Announcements
Message Icon Topic: Crystal 2008 Post Reply Post New Topic
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote hilfy Replybullet Topic: Crystal 2008
    Posted: 16 Oct 2007 at 11:19am
At the BO conference this morning, they announced the new version of Crystal - Crystal 2008. 

New features that caught my interest include:
- Custom paper sizes.
- Barcodes are much easier - right click on object, select Bar Code, then select the barcode format.
- Report bursting based on lists, including bursting to email addresses.
- Re-sort and filter data without having to re-query data (filtered data must be in original query result.)
- Ability to add Xcelsius flash controls to a report and base them on the data in the report.

I have a beta copy, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.  I'll post more when I've had a chance to look at it.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 9:13am
hilfy

I wonder how many developers will quickly  move to CR 2008. Given your experience/expertise with CR;  I would appreciate your thoughts about the new version and whether its worth being an early adopter of the new product.  I will look forward to any comments you may be able to post about CR 2008 and its new features. They may get me off the fence about purchasing a copy.

Regards,

John W.

IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 9:05am
How quickly folks move to the new version is going to be dependent on a lot of things. 

For companies, like mine, that use some form of BusinessObjects Enterprise, the new Crystal won't be integrated until the next release (which I've heard called Titan, SP3, and XII - so who knows what it will be called!) which is due sometime in the first half of next year.

For some developers, it will be dependent on when it's integrated into Visual Studio.

Beyond that, it will be a matter of how urgently folks want the new features (re-sort without re-querying is slick!) and when the XI version os no longer available.

As I get time to evaluate the new version, I'll post more.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 7:47am
I have downloaded the trial version of  CR 2008. I am tempted because of  a few of the things that Dell mentioned in the first post in the thread.  In my initial look at the product I am struck by the thought it was not finished.

Here's why, superficial as it may seem....

When you first open CR it opens in the new Office 2007  style window, yet when you open things like the Crosstab wizard or Formula Workshop you see the gui is still like CR XI. I suppose the functionality remains the same but still I am surprised to see the GUI is not consistent from window to window.  It makes me wonder really how much  is new under the hood and whether it is worth the price of the upgrade.

Anyone have more thoughts? 

Regards

John W.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version