Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Crystal XI vs. Crystal Reports Visual Studio 2005 Post Reply Post New Topic
janez

Online Status: Offline
Quote janez Replybullet Topic: Crystal XI vs. Crystal Reports Visual Studio 2005
    Posted: 10 Mar 2007 at 12:56pm
Hello,

I have been using Crystal Reports bundled with Visual Studio since the release in 2002 (I never used standalone CR). When Visual Studio 2005 was released I migrated all my reports to this version, there are some improvements over the 2003 and 2002 versions.
I exclusively use Crystal reports with .NET Dataset or DataTable, RDBMS is Microsoft SQL Server, all SQL statements are encapsulated in stored procedures. The reports I design are pretty advanced (groups, conditional formatting, cross-tabs, subreports, programatic exports to pdf or xls, charting, etc.). As I have found out, the areas where CR 2005 is pretty weak are: charting - customization, programmatic access to crosstab values, crosstab layout customization, the CR designer is very weak too.

Recently, I have found out that there's now an upgrade from CR bundled with VS 2005 to CR XI Developer available at $99. Will I gain any significant improvement over CR 2005 if I upgrade to CR XI? Are there any significant improvements in the areas I have mentioned above?

Thanks and best regards
Janez
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2007 at 5:33pm
The problem with CR XI and VS 2005 is that the benefits are derived by using CR XI as a standalone designer. Buying the developer edition will let you use the new reporting features of XI, but the designer in the VS IDE is the same. You'll have to open the CR XI standalone program and design the reports there to get the most benefit. However, charting is still weak as well as access to the cross-tab object. They have improved the speed of reporting off datasets and you might find that beneficial. Personally, I would download the 30 day trial of the Developer edition and test it out first. See what is important to you. Then let us know what your personal feelings about it are so that others might learn from it!
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
janez

Quote janez Replybullet Posted: 11 Mar 2007 at 1:38am
Hi Brian,

thanks for your reply. I have already downloaded CR XI Second Edition (required for VS 2005), I will try it out.

For those that do not know for the offer I mentioned, here's the procedure how to access this special offer:
1. Go to http://diamond.businessobjects.com/ - Diamond developer web site
2. Now click 'Upgrade your Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 to Crystal Reports XI Release 2 Developer Edition' link on the right side of the page.
3. You will now be routed to the store. Now select 'Crystal Reports XI Developer Upgrade for .NET Bundles'. Here you will be able to buy for $99.

Please note, that if you will go to the Business objects home site and from there to the store, you will not find the special offer (maybe you will, I didn't).

Offer expires March 31st, 2007.

Janez 
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 9:18am
Thanks for the link!
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version