Announcements
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Announcements
Message Icon Topic: Universe Post Reply Post New Topic
Seeuni

Online Status: Offline
Quote Seeuni Replybullet Topic: Universe
    Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 7:45am

I use crystal reports and learned web intelligence. I have access to info view where I could connect to my personal database through private password. However I want to use web intelligence to query this data. How can I create universe. I tried creating it from crystal report but get message CMS is not connected. I asked my company help to give me access to CMS so I can create universe and then use web intelligence query panel. However no body could help me.

Any suggestions

IP IP Logged
Savan

Quote Savan Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2009 at 1:16am
you need the business objects software to be installed in your machine. After you install business objects software then following applications will be installed
"Data Source Migration Wizard"
"Data Source Migration Wizard Help"
"Designer"
"Developer Documentation"
"Import Wizard"
"Publishing Wizard"
"Repoistory Migration Wizard"
"Universe Builder"

By using Universe Builder you can create and edit the universe.
Thanks
Savan
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2009 at 12:56pm
Actually, Universe Builder is specifically for building universes based on OLAP cubes.  For regular databases you use Designer.

However, be aware that unless you database is fairly simple, there can be challenges to building a universe.  Basically, a universe is a "metadata layer" between the user and the database.  It hides the complexity of the database from the user and allows users to chose fields based on plain English (or whatever spoken language you're using) labels.  WebI then builds the SQL for the report based on the fields that have been selected. 

When building a universe, you have to be aware of possible circular references because they will cause an error.  There are several different ways of resolving circular references - Context, Aliasing, Derived Table - each of which can be appropriate in different situations. 

Seeuni, if the universe will be used by you only, then you can set it up based on your tables and it may be a very quick setup for you.  However, if regular users will ever be using it, there's a fair amount of planning that goes into making it user friendly.  At that point I would highly recommend that you take the Universe Designer class that is available from Business Objects.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version