Writing Code
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Writing Code
Message Icon Topic: pass variable in vb.net to crystal w/o using a DB? Post Reply Post New Topic
nebchill26

Online Status: Offline
Quote nebchill26 Replybullet Topic: pass variable in vb.net to crystal w/o using a DB?
    Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 7:26pm
does anyone know how i can pass a variable/parameter from visual basic.net without using a database?

an example is i like to pass a the value of a text box in vb.net to crystal report.
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 12:59pm
You can create an empty formula and locate it on the report. Then you can pass the variable to the text property of the formula. I dont have a sample in front of me. I think the collection of formulas is found in the Report Document object model and is in Report Definitions. I could probably supply a sample later today if still needed.

I often use this in passing strings I generate from code to display on the report.

Regards,

John W.

IP IP Logged
nebchill26

Quote nebchill26 Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 4:03pm
could you give me an example of this please?thanks
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 8:52am
Here is a sample from the CR .Net API reference. The idea is to create an empty formula box. Then use this method to pass in a value. You can reference the formula field by its name as a string and not its index value.  I do this when I have some dynamic value I create in code that is not in the database but need it to show on the report.
---------------
      Private Sub UpdateFormulas(ByVal myReportDocument As ReportDocument)
         myReportDocument.DataDefinition.FormulaFields.Item("myformula").Text = "{file.SALES} *.1"
         myReportDocument.DataDefinition.FormulaFields.Item(2).Text = "{file.SALES} + {file.COMMISSION}"
      End Sub
 ----------------

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John W.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version