Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Select the last record and show it in my report Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
elnino26

Online Status: Offline
Quote elnino26 Replybullet Topic: Select the last record and show it in my report
    Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 10:19am

Hello Guys,

I hope every body is doing ok. I have an issue with on of my reports. The issue is that I don't know what is the best way to show in my report the last transaction of each user? The transaction table has saved all users transactions. The only thing that I want is go to the table, select the last transaction table, and show the last transaction in my report for each user. I was trying to use different ways to do it, but neither of those worked. I was using an SQL statement which works just fine from the DB, but when I set up it on Crystal Repot XI it doesn't. So, I don't know if somebody can help to find the right way to do it.

The SQL is: this statement is working as I want in Oracle DB, but it doesn't work in Crystal Report. I also try to use OnLaststRecord, but it didn't work either. When I used those options, I always get many records with the same info. I just want to get the last transaction date field in my report

select TRANDATE
from TRANS_TABLE
where ROWID = (select MAX(ROWID) from TRANS_TABLE where PATRONID = PATRONID);

I hope that someone can provide some help.

Thanks,

Edited by elnino26 - 17 Feb 2009 at 12:21pm
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 1:49pm
You could change your sql to something like this:

Select PATRONID, max(TRANDATE)
from TRANS_TABLE
group by PATRONID

Link this to your other data on Patron ID.

You could also do this in the report (this solution pulls all of the data...):

1.  Group by User.
2.  Sort by TranDate descending.
3.  Put the data in the User Group Header section.  Because the data is sorted with the most recent date first, that's the date that will appear on the report.

-Dell

Edited by hilfy - 17 Feb 2009 at 1:55pm
IP IP Logged
JohnT
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnT Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 1:49pm
Did you enter your SQL as a command or did you try to build it in the selection expert ? 

To learn how to enter your SQL into Crystal, go to help and look at "Define a SQL command".  You might have to use something other than ROWID but it should work.  IMaybe something like this:

Select TRANDATE,
          PATRONID
 from TRANS_TABLE A
where TRANDATE = (Select max(TRANDATE) from TRANS_TABLE where A.PATRONID = PATRONID) 

Good luck !
IP IP Logged
elnino26

Quote elnino26 Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 7:21am

Dell,

Thank you so much for your help.

I did what you told me to do, but it's still not working. What I'm trying to do is to get it just the last transaction day for each user in my report. The report is doing different data source and grouping using different info, but the only thing is missing is the very last transaction day. I tried to do with SQL statement and formula but it doesn't work. Every time that I set up something like the SQL statement, I get an error messages. I don't know what is the best way to do it? but I'm kind of frustrated. This is the only part in my report that is not working.

Let me know.
Thanks,
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 7:29am

I have a couple of thoughts, but I need to know a little more about your report.

What are the error messages that you're getting with the SQL?  What is the exact SQL that you're using? How are your groups set up?

-Dell

IP IP Logged
elnino26

Quote elnino26 Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 7:35am
Thank you for your help.

Well, I tried different way to do it like SQL and formula. But neither one works. This is the only thing that is not working in my report. I just want to reflect when was the last transaction for each user.

Exmaple:

PatronID     Last Trandate     User_Name    Active     Current Balance
00001         15-May-2005      Albert Borw        0               $3.00 

I got almost all the data work, but I'm missing the last transaction date. I don't know if you have a good way to get it.

Thanks,

IP IP Logged
elnino26

Quote elnino26 Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 7:40am
Dell,

The report is getting inactive users with balance in their account that also reflect the last transaction date. The report is group by Active and Inactive, and users who have at least $10 in their account. The report is reflecting UserdID, UserName and UserFirstname, Active or Inactive, Current Account Balance, and LastTranDate (I'm missing this). I just need to get from the DB the just the last transaction date. For example:

User TransDate:
01/20/2006
02/20/2006
03/15/2007 *

* I need to reflect just this date in my report.

00001         15-Mar-2007        Albert Borw        0               $3.00 

Edited by elnino26 - 18 Feb 2009 at 7:41am
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 7:56am

What I hear you saying is that you have a group on Status (Active vs Inactive) and a group on Current Balanct (>= $10 vs < $10)  Try this:

- Add a third group on PatronID or User_name (however you want to sort the users).  You're going to put your data in the header section for this group, NOT in the details!

- Add a descending sort on TranDate.

- Suppress the details section and probably also the footer for you new third group.

Because your data is in the group header and you've sorted the dates descending, the date of the most recent transaction should now appear with your data.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
elnino26

Quote elnino26 Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 8:39am
Dell,

I just need to get something like this:
00001         "15-Mar-2007"        Albert Borw        0               $3.00 

The set up that you told will not work as I want. I need to get some the user details with their last transaction date.

Thank you so much for your help.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 9:09am
Have you tried it? What other user details are you looking for?  The data that I'm seeing in your example doesn't explain why this won't work.

The only other option I can see involves using a subreport for the date and uses this same technique, but that will considerably slow down the report. 

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version