Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Code a button click event to run exe Post Reply Post New Topic
JLee98

Online Status: Offline
Quote JLee98 Replybullet Topic: Code a button click event to run exe
    Posted: 21 Apr 2007 at 10:45pm
I'm so thrilled to have stumbled onto this site!!  I'm having a really hard time trying to make something work for me related to Crystal Reports and would greatly appreciate any help.

Is it possible  to code a button's click event to run an exe?  I have CR 8.5 and have tons of reports that my agency uses daily.  I'm the only staff member with CR on my workstation as I've been trained in Crystal Reports as well as with the company whose software we use to utilize CR with the data structure.  I desperately want to write an application in Visual Basic 2005 ( I only have Express version at this time ) and use a button control to activate the exe that is created when I 'compile' the rpt.  Is that possible? 

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.  If I sound vague, I can surely provide more information regarding my needs.

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer Lee
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 10:49am
Something you need to be aware of, Crystal 8.5 is the LAST version where reports could be compiled.  So, if your version of Crystal is ever upgraded, any work you do here would have to be thrown out and rewritten.

I would recommend building a VB.Net application using the CrystalReportViewer component that will actually display the report without having to run an exe.

If you have to keep the .exe format, there are ways to do that too.

-Dell 
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version