Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Fill the whole page with blank records Post Reply Post New Topic
Neus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Neus Replybullet Topic: Fill the whole page with blank records
    Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 2:04am
Hi!

My report displays the info on a table in the details section. The size of the table depends on the amount of info displayed, so the number of rows changes in each different execution (but never takes more than one page).

I'd like to fill the gap after the details section has finished until the page footer with blank records. The objetive is to fill the whole page, making grow the table with blank records.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Neus
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 7:15am
then you need to create the correct number of dummy blank rows in the dataset.  if you are getting from a stored proc, you could pad the rows there, if you are pushing the data, you could add blank rows into the dataset in you middle tier.  If you are just passing parameters and having the report run by joining to tables in the DB, you're out of luck.  CR only displays what is returned to it.

HTH
IP IP Logged
Neus

Quote Neus Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 7:28am
Hi, first of all, thanks for your response.

The info displayed by CR comes from a dataset, the size of this dataset can change depending on the query, and the height of each row depends on the amount of info displayed by each field (Ex: some fields could need more height to display the info).

So, how can I calculate how many rows should be added to fill the whole page? I just want to fill the gap between details section and page footer.

Thanks again,

Neus

IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 7:31am
you can't...not reliably, since the heights change and you have no way of determining the height of the final displayed value.

why do you need to fill the gap?  The page footer prints at the bottom of the page...if it is a group footer, then I can understand wanting to push the value to the bottom of the page, but you could just select 'Print at Bottom of Page' in the section expert.

HTH
IP IP Logged
Neus

Quote Neus Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 12:29am
It's a customer request that the table displayed on the form fills the whole page. So first should appear the records with the info (read from dataset) and then add blank records until the table fills the entire page.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
IP IP Logged
kevin15k

Quote kevin15k Replybullet Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 7:54am
I have the same problem. I can have different numbers of rows in my details and different heights depending on the data. When there are only a couple rows on the page, the rest of the page is blank. I want to fill the rest of the page with empty rows so that the user can write stuff in there if they need to after printing it out. This is a major request by the user. Unfortunately, I am using Crystal 7 and it's rubbish.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 6:09am
Yes, CR 7 is old, but what you are asking to do, really can't be done.  CR can barely handle this if the row height is the same, if it is variable, even CR XI can't do it reliably, because the only method that I know of is counting rows, but you can't do that with variable height as there is no method to determine how much room the row has used.

the other reporting tools out there don't do this either, that I am aware of.

IP IP Logged
kevin15k

Quote kevin15k Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 1:58pm

If there are no other reporting tools out there that can do this, then someone can make a lot of money making one that can. There should be a checkbox for the section that allows you to fill that section until the end of page. The reporting tool should be able to calculate the amount of room left on the page and fill it as needed.

IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 6:29am
if you don't care about horizontal lines, CR can handle vertical lines.  At least XI can, I never needed it in 7 so I don't know if it is available.  In XI, you can draw a line, and then view its properties.  You can check the Extend to Bottom of Section.  This will give you vertical lines, but horizontal lines...you can try it, but I am not sure how it will look.

HTH
IP IP Logged
drk2cmp

Quote drk2cmp Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 10:00pm
I'm trying to do the exact opposite, prepending extra details to a report (because if you start printing the first label on a sheet every time, you waste a lot of labels.

This is the only solution I've found so far, and may provide some insight for concatenating details to the end.

http://www.crystalkeen.com/articles/crystalreports/createblanklabels.htm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version