Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Which type of join do I need Post Reply Post New Topic
martinjamesward

Online Status: Offline
Quote martinjamesward Replybullet Topic: Which type of join do I need
    Posted: 06 May 2010 at 10:01pm
I have a report which requires data from 2 tables.

Table 1 shows all instances where we have loaned an item to a customer against a repair

Table 2 shows all repairs

I need to return all loan records and details from repair records that have had a loan against them

Loan records contain the associated repair reference and the repair records contain also contain the associate laon reference - therfore giving two different ways to link the records together.

I have tried both methods with an inner join, but the report returns a messgae 'unable to open a rowset' and the Crystal reports crashed and I have to re-start.

There should only be one to one relationship with Loans to Repairs, but there are Repairs that do not an associated loan.

My searchs on various forums indicate that this is possibly due to the way I am linking my tables.

Can anyone confirm if an inner join is the correct type of join to use in this instance? or should I be using a left outer (with the loan table being on the left)

IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:18am
Any linking should not get 'unable to open a rowset' with two tables.  I suspect a problem with the ODBC connection or CR.  What data source are you using and what data source do you have (Oracle, SQL, Access, etc.).
IP IP Logged
martinjamesward

Quote martinjamesward Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2010 at 8:36pm
I am pulling data from views held in two separate (but related) Domino databases.

I can verify both databases's with no issues, its only when I make the links & refresh I get this issue.
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 5:05am
Never had to deal with a Domino database.  Not sure how you would connect.   If you are using an ODBC connection.  You may need an updated driver.  I used to have to deal with an database that worked fine until you linked more that three tables (same error message).   The only solution was to import the tables into SQL Server and run the reports from SQL Server.
IP IP Logged
martinjamesward

Quote martinjamesward Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 5:14am
Kevlray

Thanks for you help - I may have to give this one up as a bad job
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version