Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: counting records with matching text Post Reply Post New Topic
guy_b

Online Status: Offline
Quote guy_b Replybullet Topic: counting records with matching text
    Posted: 12 Dec 2007 at 9:59am
Hi All

I'm using crystal xi (ver: 11.5.0.313) to report against an Access 2003 database.  I cannot modify the database as it is part of another project. Cry  I have created a query (4 tables joined) which I am reporting against.

One of the columns returned by my query is called [Species] and may contain "Dog", "Cat", Null or an empty string. 

I need to  know what percentage of records contain the word "Dog" in the species column.  I had thought that this would be a very simple function containing a variant of the count() function but I cannot find an example anywhere that allows me to specify a constraint to be used with the count().

I suspect that this may be very simple and I'm missing something quite simple & obvious. I do hope so anyway LOL

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful Tongue

cheers - gb

Edited by guy_b - 12 Dec 2007 at 10:04am
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 12:07am
You could do a cross-tab and use the species field as the row. Then the cross-tab will perform various summary calculations and percentages for you in the columns.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
guy_b

Quote guy_b Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 3:23am
Thanks for that,

I'll try the cross-tab method you suggest.  I've not used it before but hopefully I'll find an example somewhere.

Cheers - GB
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 7:47am
I have some introductory material you can read which is listed at the bottom of this page: Table of contents

I also have forty pages of information about cross-tabs in my book Crystal Reports Encyclopedia
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
guy_b

Quote guy_b Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 11:01am
Originally posted by BrianBischof

I have some introductory material you can read which is listed at the bottom of this page: Table of contents

I also have forty pages of information about cross-tabs in my book Crystal Reports Encyclopedia

Thanks for that Brian, I'll certainly checkout the material you suggest. If crystal does becomes a regular task I  think i'll probably need that book LOL  cheers - guy
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version