Message Icon Topic: Daft Question - Linking tables Post Reply Post New Topic
shabbaranks
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote shabbaranks Replybullet Topic: Daft Question - Linking tables
    Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 1:31am
Hi,

A real simple question but I thought Id better ask it as it'll make a massive difference to how Im working.

Can you have multiple links to one table is is it best practice to have just one link per table which kind of daisy chain?

Thanks
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 4:00am
IMO There really is no best practice.
Each report request offers unique requirements that may require a different approach.
I recommend you read up joins (links). You can use SQL joins to research instead of Crystal as they are move prevelantly written about and are basically the same thing (a caveat is enforcing a join).
Getting the "correct" join on the "correct" field is critical to getting the correct data set to report on. Joining the same two tables for two different reports can be drastically different based on each report requirement.
Once you understand joins you can more readily plan the report before you even start building it because you can more easily get the best data set for this specific report.
You also have to understand how your select statement (or SQL WHERE clause) can impact a join.
IP IP Logged
shabbaranks
Groupie
Groupie

Quote shabbaranks Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 4:04am
Thanks dblank, since posting my question and doing A LOT of reading :) I have discovered the method to which is used to pull data from the different tables and also using more than one reference within the same table.

A simple solution but as said (and I forget the proverb\story) its not the hitting but knowing where to hit it. Adding a second table instance to then pull the multi criteria off seems to be the approach.

Thanks again :)
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version