Writing Code
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Writing Code
Message Icon Topic: Deploying application-problem with cached reports Post Reply Post New Topic
gphreak

Online Status: Offline
Quote gphreak Replybullet Topic: Deploying application-problem with cached reports
    Posted: 11 Apr 2007 at 10:31pm
I am trying to deploy a CR application. I have several embedded reports and am using the ReportDocument model and runtime parameters. When the report loads, I pass in the login information used in other parts of the application. The login info (username, password, db server and db name) is all correct, however, the reports seem to be using cached login information that was used when the reports were designed - different username, password, etc. Even though the application can set those values and even though I call the update login info function, the reports still try to use the information that was cached during design time.

Why is this happening and how can I go around it? I assume that because I am using embedded reports some of that might be cached in a dll or something, but I am not sure.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to isolate the problem and/or fix it?

As always, any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2007 at 10:59pm
I haven't seen this. It should not be caching anything. In fact, CR never caches the password info. You always have to set this manually for secure databases. Does it have the old password in it? Plus, even if it was caching this info, but setting the properties of the ReportDocument object you are overwriting what is in it's cache. I'm thinking that something else is going on. I would debug it and look somewhere else, but I can't figure out where this problem might be caused.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
gphreak

Quote gphreak Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 12:52am
Actually, the weird part is that it keeps the old server name, but not database name, keeps username, but not password. However, the database name textbox on the CR login form is disabled, and the password one is not. But of course w/o the db name, it's no good.
The puzzle here for me is that the code works fine from within VS2005, but when I build the installer, which contains CR runtime, I get that bug. So I am not even sure how to debug that. I am not sure what in the installer process I could have messed up, but this kind of an error is most definitely something I would have never expected and I don't know how to approach it. I will try a few different things in the code tomorrow, and then go through the installer build process again and see what happens.
If you have suggestions on what  to try or look for, please let me know.  
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 11:01am
Strange. I would double check the DLLs. Make sure you have the latest service packs and matching merge modules. keep it all in synch. Also, is this being installed on a clean box or is there an older copy of CR already on it? I would test on a clean box if possible. I LOVE VMWare b/c it makes testing installations easy.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version